Phlebotomy has a quickly growing job market and our course prepares you for certification
The Phlebotomy program at Apollo Career Center is a part-time certificate program that provides comprehensive classroom and clinical education. The goal of the program is to provide a balanced clinical and theory-based curriculum that covers techniques, skills, and equipment for the purpose of safe and effective blood collection. This is accomplished through lectures and laboratory courses, as well as a clinical practicum in local healthcare laboratory. Students will be expected to demonstrate the ability to obtain patient’s blood specimens by venipuncture and micro-collection techniques.
- Official high school transcript or High School Equivalency (HSE)
- 10-panel urine drug screening test as a part of admission into the clinical portion of the program
List of required vaccinations:
- Hepatitis B Series
- Positive surface antibody titer, or completion of two (2) of the three (3) Hepatitis B vaccinations
- Two-step Mantoux (TB)
- Annual Skin Test
- Seasonal influenza
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
- Positive titer, or
- Vaccination within the last ten (10) years
- COVID vaccinations (except medical or religious exemptions)
- BLS CPR certification
Must be American Heart Association
Successful completion of the evening class AND 100 hours and 100 successful venipunctures in the clinical and lab setting. Please note: The clinical lab does not begin until after successful completion of class coursework. The first half of the clinical experience consists of successful completion of 100 venipunctures and 50 clinical hours. (Clinicals are various morning hours. Days and times will be based on student and lab availability.) For the remaining 50 hours, the students will return to Apollo and learn expanded phlebotomy duties.
Phlebotomy students are required to be in scrubs during class AND clinical- this begins DAY 1 of class! All requirements will be reviewed at orientation.
Scrubs: Black, red, or a combination of black and red. There is no specific brand that is required and it doesn’t matter where you get them. No sports team logos.
Shoes: Standard black tennis shoes. No particular brand is required. No open back clogs or shoes with holes on the top. Crocs are NOT permitted. Shoes should be at least 60% leather on the top.
Students who complete the classroom portion, 100 hours in the clinical lab and 100 successful venipunctures will be permitted to sit for various phlebotomy certification exams.
Credential: CPT (IAPS)
www.ascp.org (Eligibility: Route 2)
Credential: PBT (ASCP) – Phlebotomy Technician
Credential: CPT (NHA)
*Certification tests are held at Apollo
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of phlebotomists is projected to grow 23 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Class orientation is held the Thursday evening BEFORE the advertised start date of the class from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Attendance is required or your seat will be filled.
March 27, 2023 – August 17, 2023
- March 27, 2023 – May 17, 2023 (classroom portion) | M/W | 6:00 – 9:00 pm
- May 22, 2023 – June 23, 2023 (clinical rotation) | Clinicals are various daytime hours
- June 27, 2023 – August 17, 2023 (lab rotation) | T/TH | 6:00 – 9:00 pm
*Mandatory Orientation: Thursday, March 23, 2022 from 6-9pm
August 14,2023 – January 11, 2024
- August 14, 2023- October 11, 2023 (classroom portion) | M/W | 6:00 – 9:00 pm
- October 16, 2023 – January 11,2024 (clinical rotation) | Clinicals are various daytime hours
- November 20, 2023 – January 11, 2024 (lab rotation) | T/TH | 6:00 – 9:00 pm
*Mandatory Orientation: Thursday, August 10, 2023 from 6-9pm
January 8, 2024- June 6, 2024
- January 8, 2024– March 7, 2024 (classroom portion) | M/W | 6:00 – 9:00 pm
- March 11, 2024 – June 6, 2024 (clinical rotation) | Clinicals are various daytime hours
- April 16, 2024 – June 6, 2024 (lab rotation) | T/TH | 6:00 – 9:00 pm
*Mandatory Orientation: Thursday, January 4, 2024 from 6-9pm
March 25, 2024 – August 15, 2024
- March 25, 2024 – May 15, 2024 (classroom portion) | M/W | 6:00 – 9:00 pm
- May 20, 2024 – August 15, 2024 (clinical rotation) | Clinicals are various daytime hours
- June 27, 2023 – August 15, 2024 (lab rotation) | T/TH | 6:00 – 9:00 pm
*Mandatory Orientation: Thursday, March 21, 2024 from 6-9pm